Business Development Strategy & Policy
- Provide technical expertise in the development and implementation of strategy/business plan for the Business Development Department as input into the overall Corporate Strategy of the Group.
- Provide leadership in the development of policies, standard operating procedures (SOPs), work plan and other support systems including monitoring mechanisms in managing the Business Development Department to achieve targeted objectives.
- Liaise with Management and/or Board to develop and implement strategy for new business development, marketing and communication that is appropriate to the current needs of the Group and take advantage of opportunities available.
- Responsible for communicating, integrating and monitoring the implementation of approved business strategy and plan.
- Lead in the implementation of comprehensive strategy and tactical plan for business development, income generation and awareness-creation for the Group.
- Participate and provide technical expertise in the overall process of Management and Corporate decision-making to ensure the Group maximises its short, medium and long-term profitability and shareholder returns.
Market & Business Analysis
- Provide strategic direction in the management of the Group’s marketing and sales functions in pursuance of the Group’s business objectives.
- Spearhead the marketing effort/functions of the Group’s to maintain a visible and active presence in the local and international market to enhance new business acquisition whilst supporting existing relationships.
- Develop comprehensive sales and marketing strategies and plan, including pricing models to meet the Group’s targeted objective and overall business plan.
- Direct research activities on existing markets and competitors to identify strength, weakness, opportunities and threats for the Group and develop measures to minimise the impact of threats and take advantage of the identified opportunities to maximise market share and profit.
- Provide leadership and direction in researching on the changing needs and expectations of customers/clients (existing and prospective) to inform the development of new products, services and projects for the Group’s business operations.
- Lead/direct and provide technical expertise in the development of marketing campaigns for new products and services and monitor its implementation to ensure compliance with approved strategies and policies.
Business Development Initiatives
- Provide leadership and technical expertise in the conception and formulation of new business ideas into saleable projects and identify potential investors/partners for off-taker agreements in line with the Group’s long-term vision and business strategy.
- Review, analyse and evaluate approved business strategies/plan for new business initiatives and provide detailed financial models to examine value of income generating business model ideas in line with the Group’s overall strategy/plan.
- Stay abreast with current government policy interventions on emerging bi-lateral and multi-lateral economic/social development initiatives and advise Management on potential business opportunities.
- Lead the Business Development & Marketing team in sourcing, managing and implementing new business opportunities/initiatives in line with the Group’s overall business strategy.
- Provide leadership in the development of business proposals and major bids in line with required specifications (technical, regulatory, etc.) and service/project management standards.
- Review and analyse the operating business lines/markets of the Group and government’s development agenda regarding private sector participation and/or initiative and initiate action to position the Group for business opportunities.
- Provide technical expertise and advice to Management/Board on the Group’s business operations and other interventions to expand operations to become more competitive and viable.
- Develop innovative ideas and approaches to improve the Group’s business and service delivery.
Monitoring & Evaluation
- Liaise with the Operations Department and monitor to ensure that on-going services rendered conform to the approved business initiative/idea, cost-effective, of high quality and meet the needs of targeted group/clients as well as the strategic focus of the Group.
- Monitor potential new business opportunities and decide on which opportunities to pursue in close collaboration with all stakeholders and identify avenues for project financing.
- Monitor the operational activities of the Department to ensure efficient and effective marketing, advertising and promotional planning of the Group’s services and products.
Stakeholder Relations & Management
- Establish and maintain professional relationship and liaise closely with policy makers, government officials, MDAs and other business executives to explore business opportunities and advise Management and/or Board as appropriate.
- Forge/facilitate the development of strategic partnerships with potential business investors (local and international) for the Group’s businesses.
- Network and work with key stakeholders and other organizations (NGOs, private companies, and government) to generate ideas, create partnerships and implement business models.
Financial & Audit Management
- Responsible for the preparation of the annual budget for the Business Development & Marketing Department and monitor its implementation to ensure compliance.
- Participate in the negotiations for the award of contract to suppliers, consultants and contractors.
- Certify and recommend for payment invoices, claims, receipts etc.
- Coordinate all internal and external audit programmes at the Department and follow-up to ensure that audit queries are handled expeditiously.
Information & Reporting
- Stay abreast with business-related legislations, rules and regulations in Ghana and countries of potential/current business partners and advise Management as appropriate.
- Responsible for the development of comprehensive database to track and provide information on all projects and other business initiatives undertaken by the Group.
- Keep Managing Director and/or Board informed of potential business initiatives and emerging trends and best practices in project financing and management.
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly sales report for Management’s perusal.
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly/quarterly and annual business development report(s) to Management, Board and other relevant stakeholders to aid in decision making.
Employee Performance & Development
- Maintain a professional staff with sufficient knowledge, skills, experience and professional certification.
- Hold direct reports accountable for managing their assignments to ensure the department’s goals are achieved.
- Conduct performance appraisal and provide input for career development and recommend performance incentives for direct reports.
- Identify training needs and facilitate training dor direct reports.
- Master’s Degree or its equivalent professional qualification in Business Administration, Entrepreneurship, Economics or related field.
- Membership of a recognised professional body.
- Ten (10) years working experience with at least 5 years in management position.
Knowledge & Skills
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to think strategically and thorough understanding of business strategic development.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate, package and sell project/business initiatives and clinch deals.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the business environments of Ghana and other foreign countries of importance to the Group.
- Entrepreneurial drive, passion and ability to help shape the organisation’s marketing and communication strategy.
- Considerable knowledge of Ghana’s Trade Policy, GIPC regulations and other regulatory bodies/agencies with regard to business operations and/or relations with foreign content.
- Proven knowledge and understanding of project management and administration.
- Proven ability to develop fresh approaches and innovations as appropriate.
- Ability to provide strategic leadership and management, ensuring that the vision is not lost in the daily operations of the organisation.
- Ability to set clear priorities between competing demands for resources and manage own tasks and priorities effectively.
- Ability to review and analyse budgets and financial reports to see implications in the implementation and management of business initiatives.
- International exposure and experience within a fast paced environment.
- Results driven with good business judgment and mindset.
- Ability to work under pressure, in a target driven environment.
- Ability to build strong relationships relevant to the development of business potential /partnerships.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Good negotiation and conflict management skills.
- Consultative approach and ability to influence others to support business objectives.
- Good knowledge in the use of Ms Office suite - Word, PowerPoint, Excel and business development & marketing software/tools.
- Excellent analytical skills with sound decision making.
- Strong leadership, managerial, mentoring, coaching and interpersonal skills in a "team" setting.