- Implement approved policies, standard operating procedures (SOPs), work plan, etc. for the effective and efficient management of the IT Services & Infrastructure Department to achieve targeted objectives.
- Install new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with approved standards and operational requirements.
- Perform daily system monitoring and verify the integrity/availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes and review system/application logs to ensure timely backups.
- Perform daily backup operations to ensure that all required file systems/system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media and/or recovery tapes.
- Perform system upgrades and configure system software that supports infrastructure applications or IT Asset Management applications per operational needs.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades and resource optimization as required.
- Administer the creation, operation, modification and deletion of username and passwords of employees in the system.
- Implement security software and tools to ensure maximum security and protection against IT intrusion and other attacks e.g. illegal database updates, viruses, etc.
- Perform routine network start-up and shutdown procedures and maintain control records as appropriate.
- Maintain the data centre and computer host systems including hardware, software and equipment such as UPS (uninterrupted power system) and fire protection system.
- Configure and test computer hardware, networking software and operating system software in line with approved standards/procedures.
- Conduct research and recommend changes to improve systems and network configurations, and determine hardware or software requirements related to such changes.
- Prepare equipment performance records to determine/inform the need for repair or replacement.
- Maintain and update inventory of parts to facilitate repairs operations/activities.
- Stay abreast with new developments/technologies in systems administration to facilitate the operations.
- Prepare periodic/adhoc reports for submission to Supervisor.
- Good knowledge/understanding of managing computer systems using Red Hat Linux/Microsoft tools/technologies.
- Good knowledge and experience in the use of Unix system administration, enterprise backup and recovery procedures and system performance monitoring tools.
- Good knowledge and understanding of current network hardware, protocols and standards.
- Good knowledge of IT infrastructure planning and development.
- Good knowledge/understanding of Operating Systems.
- Good knowledge/understanding of Data Systems.
- Good knowledge/understanding of databases.
- Strong planning and organizing skills.
- Good communication and presentation skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Good project management skills.
- Ability to handle information with utmost confidentiality.
- Ability to maintain professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders and work effectively with all categories of employees.
- Ability to work in a fast paced and often pressured environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills in a team setting.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or an equivalent discipline from a recognised institution with at least five (5) years working experience in a similar role.
- Professional certification in Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA) is a must.